Fun Things to do in Lafayette, LA
By: Whitney Ross, Lafayette Native
Fun Things to do in Lafayette, Louisiana
Are you looking for some of the best things to do in Lafayette, LA? Whether you are visiting South Louisiana or live here, there are plenty of ways to experience the unique blend of Cajun, Creole and Native American cultures. The music, food, and hospitality that Lafayette is known for! Here are some of our favorites.
- Take a Cajun Food Tour! Rated #1 on Trip Advisor, this is the easiest and most fun way to visit authentic local restaurants and taste the best Cajun food in Lafayette! While on tour, guests learn about the history and culture of the area while tasting delicious mainstays like gumbo, alligator, boudin, cracklin’, fried shrimp and more. Guests from all over the world have enjoyed not only the original Cajun Food Tour on their cozy bus but also walking tours. The variety of tours offered makes Cajun Food Tours perfect for visitors and locals!
- Step back in time at Vermilionville! This outdoor living history museum, located on the Bayou Vermilion, provides a time traveling experience back to Lafayette’s beginning. Multiple artisans can be found along the grounds in traditional clothing demonstrating crafts such as wood carving, blacksmithing, and cotton spinning. In addition to the museum, there is a fabulous restaurant on the grounds with homestyle Cajun cooking available for lunch. Vermilionville also hosts events throughout the year, so check out their schedule here, to see what is coming up!
- See some alligators! Only minutes from Lafayette, people from around the globe visit Lake Martin to hop on a Champagne’s Swamp Tour. Knowledgeable tour guides boat guests around the beautiful lake to see and learn about local fauna, flora, and animals, like egrets and gators!
- If boat tours are not your thing, consider stopping by ULL’s campus! Known as “the swamp,” this man-made lake, filled with beautiful cypress trees, is right in the middle of the university, which is right in the middle of town, and is home to several large alligators, as well as frogs, turtles, birds, and fish. The wildlife is easy to see from the outskirts and viewing decks.
- Shop the Lafayette Farmers and Artisans’ Market! Our local farmers and artisan market is held every Saturday morning at Moncus Park on Johnson Street in the heart of Lafayette . From 8am until noon, shoppers can peruse the outdoor marketplace full of local foods, farm fresh produce, as well as unique treasures of handcrafted items and artwork. The market also often hosts live music and food trucks for shoppers to enjoy!
- Spend some time Downtown! In addition to its 80+ bars, restaurants, and shops, Downtown Lafayette has a multitude of art galleries, and on the 2nd Saturday of each month, all are welcome to view these galleries during a fee event called Art Walk. This event includes trolly rides, refreshments, street vendors, and LOTS of art! Downtown Lafayette also hosts Downtown Alive, free outdoor concerts every Friday evening during the fall and spring months.
- While in Downtown Lafayette, make sure to drop by St. John’s Cathedral! This beautiful cathedral is the original hub of Lafayette’s conception. On the grounds you can visit a museum about the cathedral, a gift shop, and a religious art gallery. Also, right next to St. John’s is the 3rd oldest Live Oak tree in the U.S.! This magnificent oak is a must see and a great photo op!
- If Downtown Lafayette sounds like your kind of place, book a Room at Blue Moon Saloon! Within walking distance of the downtown shops and restaurants is the perfect guest house for music lovers! The Blue Moon Saloon has become one of America’s premier venues for roots music from around the world. They host different musicians almost every Wednesday through Sunday nights and offer comfortable rooms for visitors to stay in.
In addition to these great activities, Lafayette hosts numerous festivals throughout the year. To see which festivals might be coming up visit https://www.lafayettetravel.com/events/festivals/.
There is always something fun to do or experience in Lafayette, LA. Our community takes great pride in its Cajun, Creole and native culture. The food, the music, the history; we are always more than happy to share these things with our visitors and new locals!